Wednesday, 17 November 2010

Christmas Fairs, a broken bone and a lightbulb moment

For some reason I actually signed up to 3 Christmas Fairs recently, not sure what I was thinking but in for a penny in for a pound I guess!

So far I have done 2, one at a local Constitutional Club and another at a local school.
I felt like I'd not got enough handmade things so decided to add some Avon gift sets to pad it out abit.

What a disappointment, both fairs were really poorly advertised and in turn poorly attended. The first fair I sold 3 of the cupcake pictures I had done and 3 bits of Avon. The second was even worse, I just sold 3 room sprays! Though talking to the other stall holders made me feel abit better as they weren't doing much better. On the plus side I did get a lot of compliments about my storage jars and felt decorations but they didn't sell. I'm not prepared to sell them for pennys so if people don't want to buy fair enough, they will be Christmas pressies anyway.


I've got one more stall to do on Fri 26th November, it's an evening one and hopefully it will be better. In hindsight I think I'd be better off with just handmade items as I feel the Avon may have devalued the handmade products, but I'm not going to let it get to me, you win some you lose some and you've got to take the plunge sometimes and just go for it.
I have however realised what I really love making and hope that I will be able to earn some pennies doing it and that is creating pictures using patterned paper. This is my lightbulb moment, I'm hoping to expand on this and see what happens. This is my latest picture, I love it, unfortunately the weather is terrible today so the light isn't good for taking pictures but you get the idea.

On to the broken bone and H fell off a wall on Thursday at school and has broken her wrist. We've been back and forward to the hospital 3 times already! Firstly to A&E on the day then back again on Monday to have a proper cast on and another x-ray. Where they decided it needed manipulation which they do under general for kids as it's really painful so back again Tuesday for her operation. We had to be at the hospital at 8 in the morning, though she didn't have a bed until 11 and didn't go into theatre until 12.30. Then we've got to go back again next week for an x-ray to check it's healing properly because if not she's got to have wires put in it for more support whilst it's healing which means another operation, kids eh!

So the craft fairs are the last thing on my mind at the moment, to be honest going to the fairs has been a lovely break from the family and give me time to myself, whilst it wasn't busy at the fairs I was catching up on my crochet!
Nic xxx

3 comments:

  1. How do you manage it? Seriously, I need to have some lessons from you! I can't even get my act together to get one craft stall done, at any time of the year! Ohhhhhh noooooooo on the broken wrist. Gosh, must have been scary...and painful. Hope the recovery is alright. All the best for the last stall, and hope you sell loads!

    Have a super evening

    Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cupcake picture's so pretty. Hope your liitle one's wrist is on the mend x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You for your thoughtful comment Cate x

    ps hope your little ones recovery is speedy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog :) xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...